What is an ecovillage?
- a return to the nature through community gardens & shared agriculture
- bartering as a form of economy
- off-grid energy sources
- energy conservation & eco-friendly transportation
- co-operatives (including homeschooling) & a community of sharing
- diminishing consumption and maximizing conservation of resources
To learn more about Ecovillages, check out these resources:
- Earth 911's Article "American Ecovillages? They Exist & Here's 5 Exciting Examples"
- Ecovillages: 1001 Ways to Heal the Planet book
- The Global Ecovillage Network (including the global interactive map of locations)
As an aside while thinking about a wonderful world of sustainability (a dystopian contrast of what President Trump might envision for America), I do praise President Obama for setting up two new National Parks (Bears Ears National Monument & Gold Butte National Monument) and making environmental strides in the last month of his presidency. Some items can be undone, but it will make the de-eco-ing a little bit harder for incoming President Trump. (Insert environmentalist chuckling here.)
May we all have our picture perfect environmental spaces and places, and may we all be environmental activists when needed here in the next 4 years ahead.
Definition image from https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ecovillages, Ecovillage map from http://www.worldwatch.org/eco-neighborghood-catalyst, Video from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYDp8evnuI