Sponsored by USA Weekend Magazine with the HandsOn Network & Newman's Own and held annually on the 4th Saturday of October, this is a day set aside as a day of volunteering, sharing, caring, and being a hands-on helper.
A day to make a difference.
Hopefully you were out doing something in the world, working to make a difference through volunteering. Of course, if you're just now learning about it today, all is not lost. Here are some things you can do:
1. Any day can be "Make a Difference Day." Don't feel like: "Oh drat, I missed it. Oh well." Marking your calendar for next year is nice, but not enough. Do something today, this week, this month to make a difference. Some things on Eagle Cove School's upcoming agenda: Collecting and delivering the surplus/extra Halloween candy for the pediatric oncology patients at Johns Hopkins, Making sandwiches for Happy Helpers for the Homeless, our weekly TerraCycle upcycling (chip bags, juice pouches, & Ziplocs) to keep them out of the landfill, gifts for the Angel Tree during the December holidays...
2. Check out the Make a Difference Day Facebook page for some warm-fuzzy moments as you see how others shared of their time to help others. Plus, maybe it will serve as inspiration for something you feel you can do.
3. Check out the USA Weekend page, USA Today, or the Hands On Network to see some additional feel-good stories about how united our United States (and beyond) can be, working to help out a fellow neighbor.
4. Check out the Make a Difference Day Tool Kit for more inspirational brainstorming... or to plan a mega volunteering activity for your neighborhood, workplace, church... or start planning ahead for next year.
5. Get some other good ideas from the "United We Serve" webpage.
6. Do something. Anything. Help. You'll feel remarkable good for doing so!
Image from the Make A Difference Day Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/makeadifferenceday
No comments :
Post a Comment