- Typically, there are 60 or 72 photovoltaic cells per panel to capture the sunlight's photons.
- 24 hours of energy can be stored in a 4-6 hour timespan.
- There are 500--600 solar panels in the state of Maryland.
- Solar panels are constructed of the same glass of tempered windshield glass. (In fact, they have been known to take, without damage, a golf ball at 52 miles an hour.)
- Germany is a leader as a Solar Capital of the World--despite the fact that they get less sun than we do in the USA.
- Tree damage is an infrequent problem, as solar panels are often placed no where near trees due to the shade that trees provide (which counters the whole point!)
A week prior, Solar Energy World had outfitted ECS with 6 solar car kits, which the 5th grader class graciously built for each class. Homerooms then worked as a team to name their vehicle and decorate the chassis. Final assembly was done, and all we needed to do was wait for our assembly day, and hope for sun.