When the Olympics and Paralympics games come, along with it will come a major statement of sustainability. The medals for 2020 will be made 100% recyclable material. More than 90% of Japan's local authorities have been involved in collecting recycled and discarded devices. The numbers are staggering what they collected:
- 78,985 tons of recycled devices were collected.
- Roughly 6.21 million mobile phones
- Additional devices include: digital cameras, laptops, and handheld games
- During their 2-year collection, they reached their final goals by March 2019 close:
- 32 kg of gold
- 3,500 kg of silver
- 2,200 kg of bronze
- About 5,000 medals are expected to be distributed between the Olympics and Paralympics games.
There are lots of places to learn more:
- From Olympic.org: Designs of Tokyo 2020’S Recycled Medals Unveiled
- From Popular Mechanics: The 2020 Olympic Medals Will Be Made from Recycled Gadgets
- From Tokyo 2020: Tokyo 2020 Medal Project: Towards an Innovative Future for All
Image from https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/sports/olympics/2019/07/24/2020-summer-olympics-medals-how-they-look/1812376001/; video from https://youtu.be/uOo_gFjECIQ