We head back to school this week. It will be the start of my 27th year of teaching.
Ergo... I've been soaking up Vicki Davis' podcast instead of my pool lately. I was struck by one episode where Vicki talks about how summer is a healing time after our school year--akin to birthing a baby. We've spent the 9 months prior to summer doing essentially the same thing--birthing a classroom community of learners where we take on their troubles, their celebrations, and their academic, social, and emotional triumphs and struggles as well. Just like new mothers, we need our bodies (and minds) to rest and recuperate. We need to sleep while the "baby" is sleeping. For teachers, that's our summer. We don't expect new mothers to bounce right back after giving birth. Teaching is exhaustive in a different way from other professions due to the degree and times we open our hearts and give to others on a daily basis. It's different from other professions. Not better, not worse, just different in a way many don't understand, unless they know, love, or are a teacher!
(These things are also all the same things I need to remember mid-October when enmeshed in all the craziness of school and calendars and kid sporting events and more!)
Here are some of my favorite 10 Minute Teacher Podcast episodes--may the help to inspire you to make the most of your first month (and more) of school. Likewise, may they be a welcome listen on those hard days we all have! Cheers to your new year and all that you will birth and build--in yourself, your students, your schools, and your home.
- "Atomic Habits for Teachers & Students" with James Clear (Episode 381)
- "5 Inspirational Thoughts for Teachers" (Episode 350)
- "5 Tips to Help Students Feel Valued in the Classroom" with Crystal Willis (Episode 476)
- "8 Tech Tools To Try This School Year" with Richard Byrne (Episode 532)
- "5 Things About Effective Digital Citizenship You Need to Know" with Mike Ribble (Episode 460)
- "How to Get Motivated This Monday Morning" with Pat Hensley (Episode 481)
- "5 Ways to Achieve Balance for Tired Teachers Everywhere" with Mandy Froehlich (Episode 455)
- "5 Ways to Battle Burnout with Mandy Froehlich)" (Best of Season 5)
Images from https://www.coolcatteacher.com/podcast/ and https://www.zazzle.com/teachers+welcome+back+to+school+posters and https://www.teachhub.com/5-ways-prepare-go-back-school