It's also a good time to reflect on your year, and make plans for the year ahead.
It might also be a good week to get a jump start on forming your New Years resolutions. Here are some great eco-resolutions to consider.
- Clean your closet and donate clothes you no longer want or wear to a donation center or homeless shelter.
- Contribute to a charity that speaks to your heart. Maybe a one time donation, or perhaps consider making a monthly commitment. Great environmental ones I love:
- charity: water
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Or check out this link of "10 High Impact Environmental Charities with Integrity."
- Read an environmental book or two.
- Watch a eco-documentary once a month.
- Up your recycling or composting game.
- Shop with your reusable bags.
- Cut down on your food waste.
- Buy less bottled water--BYO reusable water bottle or coffee mugs.
- Upgrade your diet--go flexitarian, vegetarian, or Meatless Mondays.
- Shop more sustainably--cotton products require a lot of chemicals and water!
- Buy fair trade coffee and chocolate
- Walk (or ride your bike) more and drive less. Or, consider public transportation or carpooling.
- Grow your own garden--that's as organic as it gets!
- Switch to greener cleaners for your home.
- Take a pass on the straws... or go with a non-plastic alternative.
- Go with eco-friendly and energy efficient home products.
- Become an activist--take part in local campaigns, spread the word about the growing impact of humans on climate change, take part in park or stream clean ups. Barack Obama tweeted of this a day or so ago: "find something you want to change in your community and take the first step toward changing it." Always good advice!!
For more, check out these websites, which served as my inspiration for this post.
2018 Sustainable New Year's Resolutions You Need To Make, According To The Biggest Eco Names
Eco Talk: Environmentally-Friendly New Year's Resolutions
11 Green New Year's Resolutions That Put The Planet First
10 Easy, Green New Year's Resolutions (Even If You're a Slacker)
Ten Simple Green New Year's Resolutions
8 Simple Eco New Year's Resolutions for 2018
10 Green New Years Revolutions