it was real! Big flakes coming down, landing on you, dotting your sweater with lasting white polka-dots. Best part too... it was quite mild out and you could really be out with just a sweater or light coat.
For a minute I thought I was in Christmas, Montana... Evergreen, Vermont... or wherever it is that Hallmark/Lifetime movies take place.
But I was really and truly in my own Hometown, USA... where the snow was real, and Hallmark Christmas movies are a staple of the season here at our house, especially during present wrapping time. 'Tis the season for that!
Unfortunately, when you are generating fake snow for a movie, it's a little less ice crystal & a lot more fabrication.
To find yourself slipping down a collection of faux-snow and see the ins and outs of all that artificial white stuff, check out the links below:
- The Chinese "Christmas Village" of Yiwu, where 600 factories make about 60% of the flocked Christmas decorations. (Spoiler alert: It's not a feel good read.)
- There's always the eco-friendly company Snowcel, where you can buy your own, ready-made.
- Apparently, "Snowbusiness" is a "world leader in snow and winter effects" (according to their webpage). They have been in the faux snow business for 30+ years and have the ability to make 200 different kinds of pseudo snow. (Who knew there were that many!!) Paper and plastics seem to be the heart of the materials, along with some micro fireworks that create a "snowy ash"
- CGI is always there for the win as well... as this video shows.
- Then there's always this (shhh... no spoilers)!
Hopefully this season ahead, you find some real snow to make yourself holly, jolly, merry and bright!
Images from https://www.dafont.com/faux-snow.font (Illustration © Ænigma); http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/video-these-microbes-are-key-making-artificial-snow; https://www.balsamhill.com/how-to-flock-an-artificial-christmas-tree.
videos from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4e9i0sCX7c and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Q87WniJYE&feature=youtu.be
No comments :
Post a Comment