The IUCN Red List
Created in 1964, the International Union for Conservation of Nature's Red List of Threatened Species
is the place to go see where exactly we are when it comes to critically endangered species and our planet's biodiversity. Conservationist will appreciate all the facts here as they work to create policy change and decisions. Be sure to click the "Advanced" button to zero in on specific search criterion.
National Wildlife Federation
Come here for a quick overview of the specifics behind Endangered Species Day. You will also get some good ideas on how to take action, especially with some tweet suggestions and photo banners to spread the work via social media! A couple clicks in can give you a link to:
- Local events you can attend,
- Educational material for kids about...
- The Importance of Biodiversity
- The Endangered Species Education Program,
- College Students Celebrate Endangered Species Day
- Tools For Faith Communities
- Annual Top 10 Report (including "Extinction Plan" which lists some animals that are at severe risk to fast-tracking to extinction due to new regulations & policies under the current governmental administration.)
- Suggested Reading (PreK, Kindergarten--Grade 5, Grade 6-12, and Adult)
More resources including podcasts & transcripts of these including an overview, the reasons for species decline, species recovery, and how you can help
OneKindPlanet.org's Top 10 Most Endangered Animals
There, you can see gorgeous pictures of these 10 and learn more about each one... and maybe learn about a new animal or two!
Arkive.org has been my favorite go-to place for "all things species" for the last 8 years or so. They had copious amounts (over 100,0000) of wonderful photos, videos, and even animal cams (not to mention information about all elements of habitat, needs, threatened level, and more). I was saddened to see that due to lack of funds, they had to close down this portal in February 2019.
Images (2) screenshots from https://www.iucnredlist.org as taken on 5/13/2019 and http://theprancingpapio.blogspot.com/2010/05/may-21st-endangered-species-day.html, video from https://youtu.be/9CUI8Sa980U
No comments :
Post a Comment