It is an integrated program and a philosophy--one based on the importance of environmental literacy in promoting eco-stewardship. Their avenue: taking the learning outside, "using trees and forests as the window on the world." As any environmental educator will tell you, it is through knowing the world and nature around you that you become connected and committed to conserve it. Project Learning Tree does this through its curriculum, its professional development, and the network of support it offers.
Those are all great ways to fend of #NatureDeficitDisorder!
Take a peak into the minds and hearts of 13 Inspiring Examples of Young Environmentalists. Here, you'll see the following young activists dive in with their heart, for the betterment of their community and our world. Cheers to these environmental youngsters:
- Alex Lin: Reducing eWaste
- Green Ambassadors in Houston, Texas: Transforming a "Food Desert into a 'Greenbelt'
- Destiny Watford: Creating a Solid Waste Incinerator
- "Students for Sustainabiliy" Club in Washington State: Realizing Reforestation
- Ta’Kaiya Blaney: Singing Activist
- Cole Rasenberge: Challenging Fast Food Packaging Industry
- Baltimore High School Students: Transforming a Dumping Site
- Olivia Bouler: Fundraiser for Gulf Coast Oil Spill Relief
- Livermore, California Middle School Students: Reducing Campus Waste
- Jersey City 8th Graders: Driving a Drone to Map Trees
- Salt Lake City, Utah High School Students: Converting a Bus to Biofuel
- San Lorenzo Valley High School Students in California: Organizing an Environmental Conference.
- Xiuhtezcatl Martinez and more: Suing the Government for “their failure to protect the atmosphere and their future.”
For your own deeper dive into the environment via PLT, follow these 13 environmental examples. Here's a list of some other Project Learning Tree resources:
~ Project Learning Tree's Mission & History
~Curriculum Offerings, by Grade Level
Activities for Families
~ Downloadable Green School Investigations
~ Environmental Education Resources
~ STEM Strategies
~ Educator Tips
~ Recommended Reading, by Grade Level
PLT Logo from http://sustainability.fullerton.edu/U-ACRE/links/links.php, video from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RO4BMYWUrw
No comments :
Post a Comment